What Does it Take to Be a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
Job Description & Duties Perform site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Design solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
Life As a Solar Energy Systems Engineer: What Do They Do?
- Design or coordinate design of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems, including system components, for residential and commercial buildings.
- Develop design specifications and functional requirements for residential, commercial, or industrial solar energy systems or components.
- Create electrical single-line diagrams, panel schedules, or connection diagrams for solar electric systems, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Perform computer simulation of solar photovoltaic (PV) generation system performance or energy production to optimize efficiency.
- Develop standard operation procedures and quality or safety standards for solar installation work.
- Test or evaluate photovoltaic (PV) cells or modules.
Solar Energy Systems Engineer Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Solar Energy Systems Engineers say are important on the job.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Solar Energy Systems Engineer Jobs
- Solar Systems Designer
- Solar Photovoltaic Product Development Engineer
- Research Engineer
- Engineering Vice President
- Solar Photovoltaic Engineer
Job Demand for Solar Energy Systems Engineers
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 132,500 jobs in the United States for Solar Energy Systems Engineer. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 8,500 new jobs for Solar Energy Systems Engineer by 2026. The BLS estimates 9,500 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Solar Energy Systems Engineer are Nevada, Utah, and North Dakota. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Minnesota, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Solar Energy Systems Engineer
The average yearly salary of a Solar Energy Systems Engineer ranges between $50,750 and $155,650.
Solar Energy Systems Engineers who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Solar Energy Systems Engineers in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$132,530|
What Tools & Technology do Solar Energy Systems Engineers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Solar Energy Systems Engineers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data visualization software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Structured query language SQL
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
Becoming a Solar Energy Systems Engineer
What education is needed to be a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Solar Energy Systems Engineer?
Where do Solar Energy Systems Engineers Work?
Solar Energy Systems Engineers work in the following industries:
Image Credit: luis gomes via CC0 License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|