Types of Degrees Construction Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many construction engineering technology graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Construction Engineering Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to construction engineering tech and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Construction Engineering Tech Majors
Construction Engineering Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Skills for Construction Engineering Tech Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to construction engineering tech:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
Abilities for Construction Engineering Tech Majors
Construction Engineering Tech majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
What Can You Do With a Construction Engineering Major?
People with a construction engineering tech degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Civil Engineering Technicians||8.9%||$52,580|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Construction Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of construction engineering tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||10|
|Hispanic or Latino||15|
Construction Engineering Tech appeals to people across the globe. About 55.9% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
How Much Do Construction Engineering Majors Make?
Master’s Degree Starting Salary
The median starting salary of students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a master’s degree in construction engineering tech was $66,700 per year. These stats come from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $66,600 (25th percentile) and $66,800 (75th percentile).
It’s important to note that just because the people reporting these salaries have a degree in construction engineering tech, it does not mean that they are working in a job related to their degree.
Salaries According to BLS
Construction Engineering Tech majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $54,670 to $103,110 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Construction Engineering
Some degrees associated with construction engineering tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for construction engineering tech careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||2.4%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||16.6%|
|Some College Courses||15.8%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||11.6%|
Online Construction Engineering Programs
In 2018-2019, 160 schools offered a construction engineering tech program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||42||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||37||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Construction Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a construction engineering tech grad is $69,710 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 75% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $596,200 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Construction Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to construction engineering tech.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Pixabay under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|