Types of Degrees Computer Engineering Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many computer engineering technology graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Computer Engineering Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, computer engineering tech majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
Computer Engineering Tech majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Skills for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
computer engineering tech majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Abilities for Computer Engineering Tech Majors
As a computer engineering tech major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a Computer Engineering Major?
People with a computer engineering tech degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Electrical Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Electronics Engineering Technicians||2.0%||$64,330|
|Manufacturing Production Technicians||5.2%||$63,200|
|Software Developers, Applications||30.7%||$103,620|
|Software Developers, Systems Software||11.1%||$110,000|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of computer engineering tech majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||2|
|Hispanic or Latino||1|
Computer Engineering Tech appeals to people across the globe. About 97.7% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
How Much Do Computer Engineering Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Computer Engineering Tech majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $65,720 to $108,080 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Computer Engineering
Some degrees associated with computer engineering tech may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to computer engineering tech have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||7.6%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||13.6%|
|Some College Courses||6.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||16.9%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.4%|
Online Computer Engineering Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 306 schools offered some type of computer engineering technology program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||107||9|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||88||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||2||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Computer Engineering Worth It?
The median salary for a computer engineering tech grad is $89,580 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 125% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $993,600 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Computer Engineering
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to computer engineering tech.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Industrial Production Technology||14,313|
|Drafting & Design Engineering Technology||10,756|
|Electromechanical Engineering Technology||10,702|
|Environmental Control Technology||10,042|
|Electronics Engineering Technology||9,875|
|Mechanical Engineering Technology||7,772|
|Quality Control Technology||4,315|
|General Engineering Technology||4,212|
|Construction Engineering Technology||3,824|
|Engineering Technology (Other)||1,786|
|Architectural Engineering Technology||1,362|
|Nuclear Engineering Technology||388|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By AAAndrey A under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.