Arts & Media Management
Types of Degrees Arts & Media Management Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many arts and media management graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Arts & Media Management Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to media management were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Media Management Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Media Management Majors
When studying media management, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Abilities for Media Management Majors
Media Management majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
What Can You Do With a Arts & Media Management Major?
People with a media management degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes||4.7%||$66,040|
|Art, Drama, and Music Professors||12.0%||$69,960|
|Investment Fund Managers||8.0%||$107,480|
|Regulatory Affairs Managers||8.0%||$107,480|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Arts & Media Management?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of media management majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||141|
|Hispanic or Latino||106|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Media Management. About 22.6% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do Arts & Media Management Majors Make?
Master’s Degree Starting Salary
Data from the U.S. Department of Education shows that arts and media management students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a master’s degree made a median starting salary of $41,550 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $38,600 (25th percentile) and $45,075 (75th percentile).
Note that some of these people may have jobs that are not directly related to a media management degree.
Salaries According to BLS
Media Management majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $82,560 to $90,930 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Arts & Media Management
Some careers associated with media management require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for media management careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||0.1%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||3.7%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||1.8%|
|Some College Courses||4.4%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||3.6%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.6%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||1.0%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||2.4%|
Online Arts & Media Management Programs
In 2018-2019, 336 schools offered a media management program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||35||2|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||16||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Arts & Media Management Worth It?
The median salary for a media management grad is $89,840 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 125% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $998,800 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Arts & Media Management
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to media management.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Fine & Studio Arts||40,751|
|Design & Applied Arts||36,179|
|Drama & Theater Arts||17,726|
|Film, Video & Photographic Arts||16,756|
|General Visual & Performing Arts||5,720|
|Other Visual Art||1,071|
|Crafts, Folk Art & Artisanry||124|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Perspectives - The Photography Club, IIM Ahmedabad under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.