Multicultural & Diversity Studies
Types of Degrees Multicultural & Diversity Studies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many multicultural and diversity studies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Multicultural & Diversity Studies Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to multiculturalism were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Multiculturalism Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in multiculturalism should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Foreign Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of a foreign (non-English) language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and pronunciation.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
Skills for Multiculturalism Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to multiculturalism:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Multiculturalism Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a multiculturalism student include the following:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Multicultural & Diversity Studies Major?
People with a multiculturalism degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Professors||10.4%||$74,440|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Multicultural & Diversity Studies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of multiculturalism majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||7|
|Hispanic or Latino||14|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Multiculturalism. About 14.9% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do Multicultural & Diversity Studies Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to multiculturalism is $85,450. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Multicultural & Diversity Studies
Some degrees associated with multiculturalism may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to multiculturalism have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||0.2%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||3.3%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||1.1%|
Online Multicultural & Diversity Studies Programs
In 2018-2019, 76 schools offered a multiculturalism program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||19||3|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||3||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||1||0|
Is a Degree in Multicultural & Diversity Studies Worth It?
The median salary for a multiculturalism grad is $85,450 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 114% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $911,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Multicultural & Diversity Studies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to multiculturalism.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies||2,661|
|Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution||630|
|Biological & Physical Science||611|
|Human Computer Interaction||562|
|Mathematics & Computer Science||189|
|Science, Technology & Society||187|
|Cultural Studies & Analysis||69|
|Classical & Ancient Studies||30|
|Accounting & Computer Science||10|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Dillon White under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|