Types of Degrees Interdisciplinary Studies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many interdisciplinary studies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Interdisciplinary Studies Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to interdisciplinary studies and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Interdisciplinary Studies Majors
Interdisciplinary Studies majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Skills for Interdisciplinary Studies Majors
When studying interdisciplinary studies, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of interdisciplinary studies majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||19|
|Hispanic or Latino||17|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Interdisciplinary Studies. About 11.4% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
Master’s Degree Starting Salary
The U.S. Department of Education found that students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a master’s degree in interdisciplinary studies made a median starting salary of $42,300 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $42,300 (25th percentile) and $42,300 (75th percentile).
It’s important to note that just because the people reporting these salaries have a degree in interdisciplinary studies, it does not mean that they are working in a job related to their degree.
Online Interdisciplinary Studies Programs
In 2018-2019, 291 schools offered a interdisciplinary studies program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||8||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||2||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||7||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Explore Major by State
Majors Related to Interdisciplinary Studies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to interdisciplinary studies.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies||2,661|
|Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution||630|
|Biological & Physical Science||611|
|Human Computer Interaction||562|
|Mathematics & Computer Science||189|
|Science, Technology & Society||187|
|Multicultural & Diversity Studies||131|
|Cultural Studies & Analysis||69|
|Classical & Ancient Studies||30|
|Accounting & Computer Science||10|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By UTDallas under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|