All About Preventive Medicine Physicians
Preventive Medicine Physician Definition Apply knowledge of general preventive medicine and public health issues to promote health care to groups or individuals, and aid in the prevention or reduction of risk of disease, injury, disability, or death. May practice population-based medicine or diagnose and treat patients in the context of clinical health promotion and disease prevention.
List of Preventive Medicine Physician Job Duties
- Direct or manage prevention programs in specialty areas such as aerospace, occupational, infectious disease, and environmental medicine.
- Design, implement, or evaluate health service delivery systems to improve the health of targeted populations.
- Develop or implement interventions to address behavioral causes of diseases.
- Document or review comprehensive patients’ histories with an emphasis on occupation or environmental risks.
- Teach or train medical staff regarding preventive medicine issues.
- Direct public health education programs dealing with topics such as preventable diseases, injuries, nutrition, food service sanitation, water supply safety, sewage and waste disposal, insect control, and immunizations.
Skills Needed to be a Preventive Medicine Physician
Preventive Medicine Physicians state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Preventive Medicine Physician Jobs
- Public Health Director
- Public Health Physician
- Environmental Health Physician
- Preventive Medicine Officer
- Aerospace Medicine Physician
Preventive Medicine Physician Job Outlook
In the United States, there were 372,400 jobs for Preventive Medicine Physician in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 42,300 new jobs for Preventive Medicine Physician by 2026. The BLS estimates 14,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Preventive Medicine Physician are Arizona, Alaska, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Preventive Medicine Physicians Make A Lot Of Money?
The salary for Preventive Medicine Physicians ranges between about $60,280 and $208,000 a year.
Preventive Medicine Physicians who work in Alaska, Arizona, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Preventive Medicine Physicians make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$182,910|
What Tools & Technology do Preventive Medicine Physicians Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Preventive Medicine Physicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Database software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Scheduling software
- StataCorp Stata
- Wolfram Research Mathematica
- Insightful S-PLUS
- Patient electronic medical record EMR software
- SAS JMP
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epi Info
- Statistical Solutions BMDP
How do I Become a Preventive Medicine Physician?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Preventive Medicine Physician?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Preventive Medicine Physicians Sector
Below are examples of industries where Preventive Medicine Physicians work:
Those thinking about becoming a Preventive Medicine Physician might also be interested in the following careers:
- Forestry & Conservation Science Professors
- Chemistry Professors
- Biological Science Professors
Are you already one of the many Preventive Medicine Physician in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.