What Do Insurance Sales Agent Do?
Position Description Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
Insurance Sales Agent Responsibilities
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Monitor insurance claims to ensure they are settled equitably for both the client and the insurer.
- Seek out new clients and develop clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
- Attend meetings, seminars, and programs to learn about new products and services, learn new skills, and receive technical assistance in developing new accounts.
- Plan and oversee incorporation of insurance program into bookkeeping system of company.
- Explain necessary bookkeeping requirements for customer to implement and provide group insurance program.
What Every Insurance Sales Agent Should Know
These are the skills Insurance Sales Agents say are the most useful in their careers:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Other Insurance Sales Agent Job Titles
- Insurance Salesman
- Underwriting Sales Representative
- Field Representative
- Field Service Representative
- Sales Representative
What Kind of Insurance Sales Agent Job Opportunities Are There?
There were about 501,400 jobs for Insurance Sales Agent in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.9% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 49,800 new jobs for Insurance Sales Agent by 2026. The BLS estimates 54,700 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Insurance Sales Agent are Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for an Insurance Sales Agent
The typical yearly salary for Insurance Sales Agents is somewhere between $27,500 and $125,610.
Insurance Sales Agents who work in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, or Connecticut, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Insurance Sales Agents in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$74,990|
What Tools do Insurance Sales Agents Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Insurance Sales Agents:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Windows
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Scheduling software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Apple Final Cut Pro
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects
- Applied Systems Vision
- Insurance rating software
Becoming an Insurance Sales Agent
What education or degrees do I need to become an Insurance Sales Agent?
What work experience do I need to become an Insurance Sales Agent?
Insurance Sales Agents Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those thinking about becoming an Insurance Sales Agent might also be interested in the following careers:
- Gaming Managers
- Sales Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Supply Chain Managers
Career changers with experience as an Insurance Sales Agent sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.