What You Need to Know About Advertising and Promotions Manager
Job Description & Duties Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
Advertising & Promotions Manager Responsibilities
- Manage sales team including setting goals, providing incentives, and evaluating employee performance.
- Assemble and communicate with a strong, diverse coalition of organizations or public figures, securing their cooperation, support, and action, to further campaign goals.
- Track program budgets, expenses, and campaign response rates to evaluate each campaign based on program objectives and industry norms.
- Inspect layouts and advertising copy and edit scripts, audio and video tapes, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.
- Identify and develop contacts for promotional campaigns and industry programs that meet identified buyer targets, such as dealers, distributors, or consumers.
- Create media notices about events.
Advertising & Promotions Manager Needed Skills
When polled, Advertising and Promotions Managers say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Related Job Titles
- Promotions Director
- Marketing and Promotions Manager
- Promotions Executive Producer (Promos Executive Producer)
- Advertising Agency Manager
- Classified Advertising Manager
Is There Going to be Demand for Advertising and Promotions Managers?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 31,300 jobs in the United States for Advertising and Promotions Manager. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,700 new jobs for Advertising and Promotions Manager by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 3,400 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Advertising & Promotions Manager are Utah, Washington, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in West Virginia, Vermont, or New Mexico. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for an Advertising & Promotions Manager
The average yearly salary of an Advertising & Promotions Manager ranges between $57,150 and $208,000.
Advertising and Promotions Managers who work in New York, Washington, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Advertising and Promotions Managers in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$143,600|
Tools & Technologies Used by Advertising and Promotions Managers
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Advertising and Promotions Managers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Data visualization software
- Microsoft Windows
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Database software
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Salesforce software
How do I Become an Advertising & Promotions Manager?
What kind of Advertising and Promotions Manager requirements are there?
How Long Does it Take to Become an Advertising & Promotions Manager?
Where Advertising and Promotions Managers Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Are you already one of the many Advertising and Promotions Manager in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|