Types of Degrees Missionary Studies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many missionary studies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Missionary Studies Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to missionary studies were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Missionary Studies Majors
Missionary Studies majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Skills for Missionary Studies Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to missionary studies:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
Abilities for Missionary Studies Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a missionary studies student include the following:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Missionary Studies Major?
People with a missionary studies degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Directors, Religious Activities and Education||7.1%||$40,810|
|Philosophy and Religion Professors||12.3%||$71,890|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Missionary Studies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of missionary studies majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||18|
|Hispanic or Latino||7|
Missionary Studies appeals to people across the globe. About 23.8% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- South Korea
How Much Do Missionary Studies Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $46,980 to $82,420 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to missionary studies. This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Missionary Studies
Some careers associated with missionary studies require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to missionary studies have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||3.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||0.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||0.3%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||0.3%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||0.2%|
Online Missionary Studies Programs
In 2018-2019, 136 schools offered a missionary studies program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||8||3|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||8||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||2||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||9||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||3||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||3||0|
Is a Degree in Missionary Studies Worth It?
The median salary for a missionary studies grad is $46,980 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 18% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $141,600 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for Missionary Studies
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Missionary Studies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to missionary studies.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Theological & Ministerial Studies||13,555|
|Pastoral Counseling & Specialized Ministries||1,466|
|Theology & Religious Vocations (Other)||943|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|