What Does it Take to Be a Sustainability Specialist?
Position Description Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
Life As a Sustainability Specialist: What Do They Do?
- Write grant applications, rebate applications, or project proposals to secure funding for sustainability projects.
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues.
- Identify or investigate violations of natural resources, waste management, recycling, or other environmental policies.
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects.
- Develop reports or presentations to communicate the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives.
- Develop sustainability project goals, objectives, initiatives, or strategies in collaboration with other sustainability professionals.
Skills Needed to be a Sustainability Specialist
When polled, Sustainability Specialists say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Other Sustainability Specialist Job Titles
- Continuous Improvement Sustainability Leader
- CEO/LEED Ap, O & M, Director of Sustainability (Chief Environmental Officer/Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Applications, Operations and Management, Director of Sustainability)
- Sustainable Business Operations Specialist
- Renewable Energy Consultant
- Sustainability Consultant
Is There Job Demand for Sustainability Specialists?
There were about 1,023,900 jobs for Sustainability Specialist in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 90,400 new jobs for Sustainability Specialist by 2026. The BLS estimates 104,200 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Sustainability Specialist are Utah, Nevada, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Sustainability Specialist Salary
The typical yearly salary for Sustainability Specialists is somewhere between $38,420 and $123,000.
Sustainability Specialists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sustainability Specialists make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$102,730|
What Tools & Technology do Sustainability Specialists Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Sustainability Specialists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
How do I Become a Sustainability Specialist?
Individuals working as a Sustainability Specialist have obtained the following education levels:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where do Sustainability Specialists Work?
Below are examples of industries where Sustainability Specialists work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|