Life As a Sales Engineer
Career Description Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
Life As a Sales Engineer: What Do They Do?
- Train team members in the customer applications of technologies.
- Provide technical and non-technical support and services to clients or other staff members regarding the use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Plan and modify product configurations to meet customer needs.
- Research and identify potential customers for products or services.
- Write technical documentation for products.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations that explain products or services to customers and prospective customers.
What Every Sales Engineer Should Know
When polled, Sales Engineers say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Persuasion: Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Agricultural Equipment Sales Engineer
- Mining and Oil Well Equipment and Services Sales Engineer
- Customer Engagement Manager
- Aerospace Products Sales Engineer
- Product Sales Engineer
Job Opportunities for Sales Engineers
There were about 74,900 jobs for Sales Engineer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.9% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,200 new jobs for Sales Engineer by 2026. The BLS estimates 8,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Sales Engineer are Nevada, Utah, and Washington. Watch out if you plan on working in Wyoming, Vermont, or New Mexico. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Sales Engineer Salary
Sales Engineers make between $58,430 and $165,350 a year.
Sales Engineers who work in Delaware, Colorado, or Washington, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sales Engineers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$118,600|
What Tools do Sales Engineers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Sales Engineers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Extensible markup language XML
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- Oracle PeopleSoft
Becoming a Sales Engineer
Individuals working as a Sales Engineer have obtained the following education levels:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Sales Engineer?
Where Sales Engineers Are Employed
The table below shows the approximate number of Sales Engineers employed by various industries.
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those interested in being a Sales Engineer may also be interested in:
More about our data sources and methodologies.