All About Computer Hardware Engineers
Occupation Description Research, design, develop, or test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components.
Computer Hardware Engineer Responsibilities
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Provide technical support to designers, marketing and sales departments, suppliers, engineers and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.
- Analyze user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
- Monitor functioning of equipment and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
Skills Needed to be a Computer Hardware Engineer
Computer Hardware Engineers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Related Job Titles
- Systems Engineer
- Computer Hardware Developer
- Senior Hardware Engineer
- Hardware Engineer
- Network Engineer
Is There Going to be Demand for Computer Hardware Engineers?
In the United States, there were 73,600 jobs for Computer Hardware Engineer in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Computer Hardware Engineer by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,100 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Computer Hardware Engineer are North Dakota, Tennessee, and Washington. Watch out if you plan on working in Minnesota, Idaho, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Computer Hardware Engineer
The salary for Computer Hardware Engineers ranges between about $66,700 and $172,630 a year.
Computer Hardware Engineers who work in California, District of Columbia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
How much do Computer Hardware Engineers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$126,770|
What Tools do Computer Hardware Engineers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Computer Hardware Engineers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Word processing software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Spreadsheet software
- Microsoft Visio
- Database software
- Structured query language SQL
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Computer aided design CAD software
- National Instruments LabVIEW
How do I Become a Computer Hardware Engineer?
Learn what Computer Hardware Engineer education requirements there are.
How many years of work experience do I need?
Who Employs Computer Hardware Engineers?
Computer Hardware Engineers work in the following industries:
Other Jobs You May be Interested In
Those interested in being a Computer Hardware Engineer may also be interested in:
Career changers with experience as a Computer Hardware Engineer sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|