All About Art Therapists
Career Description Plan or conduct art therapy sessions or programs to improve clients' physical, cognitive, or emotional well-being.
Art Therapist Responsibilities
- Gather client information from sources such as case documentation, client observation, or interviews of client or family members.
- Analyze or synthesize client data to draw conclusions or make recommendations for art therapy.
- Write treatment plans, case summaries, or progress or other reports related to individual clients or client groups.
- Observe and document client reactions, progress, or other outcomes related to art therapy.
- Review research or literature in art therapy, psychology, or related disciplines.
- Talk with clients during art or other therapy sessions to build rapport, acknowledge their progress, or reflect upon their reactions to the artistic process.
Things an Art Therapist Should Know How to Do
These are the skills Art Therapists say are the most useful in their careers:
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Types of Art Therapist Jobs
- Bereavement Program Coordinator
- Client Wellness Facilitator
- Activity Therapist
- Art Psychotherapist
- Group Therapist
Art Therapist Job Outlook
In the United States, there were 19,200 jobs for Art Therapist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 6.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 1,300 new jobs for Art Therapist by 2026. The BLS estimates 1,200 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Art Therapist are Alaska, Colorado, and Washington. Watch out if you plan on working in Alabama, Wyoming, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Art Therapists Salary
The typical yearly salary for Art Therapists is somewhere between $29,590 and $77,050.
Art Therapists who work in California, District of Columbia, or Nevada, make the highest salaries.
How much do Art Therapists make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$68,430|
What Tools & Technology do Art Therapists Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Art Therapists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Suite
- Appointment scheduling software
- Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects
- Autodesk Maya
- Case management software
Becoming an Art Therapist
Education needed to be an Art Therapist:
How Long Does it Take to Become an Art Therapist?
Where Art Therapists Work
The table below shows the approximate number of Art Therapists employed by various industries.
Image Credit: Barbara E. Carver via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|