Movement & Mind-Body Therapies
Types of Degrees Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many movement and mind-body therapies graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, mind-body therapies majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Mind-Body Therapies Majors
Mind-Body Therapies majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
Skills for Mind-Body Therapies Majors
When studying mind-body therapies, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Mind-Body Therapies Majors
A major in mind-body therapies will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with mind-body therapies:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Health Specialties Professors||25.9%||$97,370|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Movement & Mind-Body Therapies?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of mind-body therapies majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||4|
|Hispanic or Latino||1|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Mind-Body Therapies. About 9.1% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- South Africa
How Much Do Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Majors Make?
Master’s Degree Starting Salary
The median early-career salary of movement and mind-body therapies students with a master’s degree is $33,000 a year according to 2017-2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $33,000 (25th percentile) and $33,000 (75th percentile).
We don’t know for sure if all of these people took jobs related to mind-body therapies so take that into consideration.
Salaries According to BLS
Mind-Body Therapies majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $44,580 to $122,320 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Movement & Mind-Body Therapies
Some careers associated with mind-body therapies require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for mind-body therapies careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||2.2%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||21.3%|
|Some College Courses||6.7%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||13.2%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||2.2%|
Online Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 24 schools offered some type of movement and mind-body therapies program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||12||2|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||3||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||2||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Movement & Mind-Body Therapies Worth It?
The median salary for a mind-body therapies grad is $57,680 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 45% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $355,600 after 20 years!
Top Ranking Lists for Movement & Mind-Body Therapies
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Movement & Mind-Body Therapies
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to mind-body therapies.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|