What You Need to Know About Healthcare Social Worker
Healthcare Social Worker Definition Provide individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. Services include advising family care givers, providing patient education and counseling, and making referrals for other services. May also provide care and case management or interventions designed to promote health, prevent disease, and address barriers to access to healthcare.
What Do Healthcare Social Workers Do On a Daily Basis?
- Plan discharge from care facility to home or other care facility.
- Develop or advise on social policy and assist in community development.
- Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Organize support groups or counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
- Utilize consultation data and social work experience to plan and coordinate client or patient care and rehabilitation, following through to ensure service efficacy.
- Refer patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid, housing, job placement or education.
What a Healthcare Social Worker Should Know
These are the skills Healthcare Social Workers say are the most useful in their careers:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Related Job Titles
- Community Advocate
- Family Advocate
- Neonatal Social Worker
- Older Adult Social Work Specialist
- Nephrology Social Worker
Healthcare Social Worker Job Outlook
There were about 176,500 jobs for Healthcare Social Worker in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 20.1% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 35,500 new jobs for Healthcare Social Worker by 2026. There will be an estimated 22,900 positions for Healthcare Social Worker per year.
The states with the most job growth for Healthcare Social Worker are Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Maine, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Healthcare Social Worker
Healthcare Social Workers make between $34,210 and $84,870 a year.
Healthcare Social Workers who work in California, Alaska, or District of Columbia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Healthcare Social Workers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$72,090|
What Tools & Technology do Healthcare Social Workers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Healthcare Social Workers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Database software
- Microsoft Publisher
- MEDITECH software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Corel WordPerfect
- Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
- Patient electronic medical record EMR software
- Relational database software
- Calendar software
- Social Solutions ETO
- Web page design and editing software
How do I Become a Healthcare Social Worker?
Learn what Healthcare Social Worker education requirements there are.
How many years of work experience do I need?
Healthcare Social Workers Sector
Healthcare Social Workers work in the following industries:
You May Also Be Interested In…
Those interested in being a Healthcare Social Worker may also be interested in:
Career changers with experience as a Healthcare Social Worker sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
Image Credit: Army Medicine via https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|