Types of Degrees Interior Architecture Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many interior architecture graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Interior Architecture Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to interiors were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Interiors Majors
Interiors majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Skills for Interiors Majors
A major in interiors prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Interiors Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a interiors student include the following:
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Interior Architecture Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with interiors:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Architectural and Engineering Managers||5.5%||$140,760|
Who Is Getting a Master’s Degree in Interior Architecture?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of interiors majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||5|
|Hispanic or Latino||20|
Interiors appeals to people across the globe. About 27.8% of those with this major are international students. The most popular countries for students from outside the country are:
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
How Much Do Interior Architecture Majors Make?
Master’s Degree Starting Salary
Data from the U.S. Department of Education shows that interior architecture students who graduated in 2015-2017 with a master’s degree made a median starting salary of $46,550 per year. During this timeframe, most salaries fell between $45,025 (25th percentile) and $48,075 (75th percentile).
It’s important to note that just because the people reporting these salaries have a degree in interiors, it does not mean that they are working in a job related to their degree.
Salaries According to BLS
Interiors majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $59,120 to $148,970 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Interior Architecture
Some careers associated with interiors require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for interiors careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||5.5%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||6.2%|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||4.9%|
Online Interior Architecture Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 51 schools offered some type of interior architecture program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||1||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Interior Architecture Worth It?
The median salary for a interiors grad is $99,320 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 149% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,188,400 after 20 years!
Majors Related to Interior Architecture
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to interiors.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Architectural Sciences & Technology||5,448|
|Urban & Regional Planning||2,729|
|Real Estate Development||452|
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Luis NГєГ±ez under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.