Life As a Mechanical Drafter
Job Description: Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
List of Mechanical Drafter Job Duties
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Shade or color drawings to clarify and emphasize details and dimensions or eliminate background using ink, crayon, airbrush, and overlays.
- Confer with customer representatives to review schematics and answer questions pertaining to installation of systems.
- Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
Skills Needed to be a Mechanical Drafter
These are the skills Mechanical Drafters say are the most useful in their careers:
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Other Mechanical Drafter Job Titles
- Technical Illustrator
- Product Designer
- Castings Drafter
- Automotive Design Layout Drafter
- Design Technician
Job Outlook for Mechanical Drafters
There were about 64,800 jobs for Mechanical Drafter in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,400 new jobs for Mechanical Drafter by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 5,900 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Mechanical Drafter are Nevada, Connecticut, and Wyoming. Watch out if you plan on working in Washington, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Mechanical Drafter
The salary for Mechanical Drafters ranges between about $35,720 and $88,280 a year.
Mechanical Drafters who work in Washington, New Mexico, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Mechanical Drafters make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$50,500|
What Tools do Mechanical Drafters Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Mechanical Drafters:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Extensible markup language XML
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Bentley Microstation
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Autodesk Revit
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Computer aided design and drafting CADD software
- Document management system software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
How do I Become a Mechanical Drafter?
Are there Mechanical Drafters education requirements?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Mechanical Drafter?
Mechanical Drafters Sector
The table below shows the approximate number of Mechanical Drafters employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|