All About Mechanical Drafters
Example of Mechanical Drafter Job Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
What Do Mechanical Drafters Do On a Daily Basis?
- Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
- Supervise and train other drafters, technologists, and technicians.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Produce three-dimensional models, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
Qualities of a Mechanical Drafter
Mechanical Drafters state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Design Drafter
- Project Designer
- Technical Designer
- Patent Drafter
- Body Designer
Job Opportunities for Mechanical Drafters
In the United States, there were 64,800 jobs for Mechanical Drafter in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,400 new jobs for Mechanical Drafter by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,900 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Mechanical Drafter are Nevada, Connecticut, and Wyoming. Watch out if you plan on working in Washington, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Mechanical Drafters Salary
The salary for Mechanical Drafters ranges between about $35,720 and $88,280 a year.
Mechanical Drafters who work in Washington, New Mexico, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Mechanical Drafters make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$50,500|
What Tools do Mechanical Drafters Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Mechanical Drafters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Extensible markup language XML
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Bentley Microstation
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Autodesk Revit
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Computer aided design and drafting CADD software
- Document management system software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
How to Become a Mechanical Drafter
What kind of Mechanical Drafter requirements are there?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Mechanical Drafters Work
Below are examples of industries where Mechanical Drafters work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|