What Do Mechanical Drafter Do?
Mechanical Drafter Example Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
Life As a Mechanical Drafter: What Do They Do?
- Shade or color drawings to clarify and emphasize details and dimensions or eliminate background using ink, crayon, airbrush, and overlays.
- Supervise and train other drafters, technologists, and technicians.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Draw freehand sketches of designs, trace finished drawings onto designated paper for the reproduction of blueprints, and reproduce working drawings on copy machines.
- Confer with customer representatives to review schematics and answer questions pertaining to installation of systems.
Qualities of a Mechanical Drafter
Below is a list of the skills most Mechanical Drafters say are important on the job.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Types of Mechanical Drafter Jobs
- Project Designer
- Auto Design Detailer
- Machine Design Checker
- Mechanical Detailer
- Pattern Drafter
What Kind of Mechanical Drafter Job Opportunities Are There?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 64,800 jobs in the United States for Mechanical Drafter. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,400 new jobs for Mechanical Drafter by 2026. The BLS estimates 5,900 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Mechanical Drafter are Nevada, Connecticut, and Wyoming. Watch out if you plan on working in Washington, Vermont, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Mechanical Drafter Salary
Mechanical Drafters make between $35,720 and $88,280 a year.
Mechanical Drafters who work in Washington, New Mexico, or New Jersey, make the highest salaries.
How much do Mechanical Drafters make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$50,500|
What Tools & Technology do Mechanical Drafters Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Mechanical Drafters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Extensible markup language XML
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Bentley Microstation
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Autodesk Revit
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- Computer aided design and drafting CADD software
- Document management system software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
How to Become a Mechanical Drafter
Are there Mechanical Drafters education requirements?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Mechanical Drafters Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|