All About Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
Position Description Develop tools, implement designs, or integrate machinery, equipment, or computer technologies to ensure effective manufacturing processes.
What Do Manufacturing Engineering Technologists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Train manufacturing technicians on topics such as safety, health, fire prevention, or quality.
- Estimate manufacturing costs.
- Plan, estimate, or schedule production work.
- Develop or maintain programs associated with automated production equipment.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in quality, cost, or efficiency of automation equipment.
- Oversee equipment start-up, characterization, qualification, or release.
What a Manufacturing Engineering Technologist Should Know
These are the skills Manufacturing Engineering Technologists say are the most useful in their careers:
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Systems Analysis: Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Related Job Titles
- Manufacturing Planner
- Manufacturing Technologist
- Business Process Analyst
- Manufacturing Technology Analyst
What Kind of Manufacturing Engineering Technologist Job Opportunities Are There?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 76,800 jobs in the United States for Manufacturing Engineering Technologist. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Manufacturing Engineering Technologist by 2026. The BLS estimates 7,100 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Manufacturing Engineering Technologist are Utah, Nevada, and Connecticut. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, West Virginia, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Manufacturing Engineering Technologists Salary
The salary for Manufacturing Engineering Technologists ranges between about $36,120 and $98,720 a year.
Manufacturing Engineering Technologists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Maine, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Manufacturing Engineering Technologists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$92,600|
Tools & Technologies Used by Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Manufacturing Engineering Technologists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Human machine interface HMI software
- Rapid prototyping software
- Materials requirement planning MRP software
Becoming a Manufacturing Engineering Technologist
What education is needed to be a Manufacturing Engineering Technologist?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Manufacturing Engineering Technologist?
Where do Manufacturing Engineering Technologists Work?
Below are examples of industries where Manufacturing Engineering Technologists work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.