What is an Investment Underwriter?
Occupation Description Manage communications or negotiations between corporate issuers of securities and clients regarding private equity investments. Underwrite the issuance of securities to provide capital for client growth. Negotiate and structure the terms of mergers or acquisitions.
A Day in the Life of an Investment Underwriter
- Collaborate on projects with other professionals, such as lawyers, accountants, or public relations experts.
- Analyze financial or operational performance of companies facing financial difficulties to identify or recommend remedies.
- Prepare all materials for transactions or execution of deals.
- Perform securities valuation or pricing.
- Arrange deals involving green investments in areas such as alternative energy product development, green technologies, or sustainable agriculture.
- Direct communications between corporate issuers of new securities and the general public.
Types of Investment Underwriter
- Securities Underwriter
- Mergers and Acquisitions Associate
- Mergers and Acquisitions Manager
- Mergers and Acquisitions Consultant
- Investment Underwriter
Job Opportunities for Investment Underwriters
In the United States, there were 135,900 jobs for Investment Underwriter in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 9.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 13,100 new jobs for Investment Underwriter by 2026. There will be an estimated 13,100 positions for Investment Underwriter per year.
The states with the most job growth for Investment Underwriter are Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. Watch out if you plan on working in South Dakota, Maryland, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Investment Underwriters Make A Lot Of Money?
The typical yearly salary for Investment Underwriters is somewhere between $38,030 and $123,360.
Investment Underwriters who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or Illinois, make the highest salaries.
How much do Investment Underwriters make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$107,760|
What Tools & Technology do Investment Underwriters Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Investment Underwriters may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Bloomberg Professional
- Moody’s KMV CreditEdge
Where do Investment Underwriters Work?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Image Credit: Dave Dugdale via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic
More about our data sources and methodologies.