All About Internists
Occupation Description Physicians who diagnose and provide non-surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of internal organ systems. Provide care mainly for adults who have a wide range of problems associated with the internal organs.
What Do Internists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Prescribe or administer medication, therapy, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Immunize patients to protect them from preventable diseases.
- Make diagnoses when different illnesses occur together or in situations where the diagnosis may be obscure.
- Treat internal disorders, such as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, or problems of the lung, brain, kidney, or gastrointestinal tract.
- Manage and treat common health problems, such as infections, influenza or pneumonia, as well as serious, chronic, and complex illnesses, in adolescents, adults, and the elderly.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical history, reports, or examination results.
What Every Internist Should Know
When polled, Internists say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Science: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Types of Internist
- Internist, Medical Doctor MD
- Clinic MD Associate (Clinic Medical Doctor Associate)
- General Doc
- Internal Medicine Doctor
Job Demand for Internists
In the United States, there were 49,800 jobs for Internist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 14.5% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 7,200 new jobs for Internist by 2026. There will be an estimated 2,100 positions for Internist per year.
The states with the most job growth for Internist are Arizona, Oregon, and Maryland. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, Rhode Island, or North Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Internists Make A Lot Of Money?
The typical yearly salary for Internists is somewhere between $57,420 and $208,000.
Internists who work in Alabama, Alaska, or Arizona, make the highest salaries.
How much do Internists make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$150,430|
What Tools & Technology do Internists Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Internists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Web browser software
- Email software
- MEDITECH software
- Scheduling software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Epic Systems
- Billing software
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Practice management software PMS
- Allscripts Professional EHR
- e-MDs software
- SOAPware EMR
- ChartWare EMR
- Novell GroupWise
- Practice Partner Total Practice Partner
- Medical reference software
- MedcomSoft Record
Becoming an Internist
Individuals working as an Internist have obtained the following education levels:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where do Internists Work?
Below are examples of industries where Internists work:
Those thinking about becoming an Internist might also be interested in the following careers:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|