What You Need to Know About Hunter or Trapper
Job Description: Hunt and trap wild animals for human consumption, fur, feed, bait, or other purposes.
Hunter or Trapper Responsibilities
- Obtain permission from landowners to hunt or trap on their land.
- Travel on foot, by vehicle, or by equipment such as boats, snowmobiles, helicopters, snowshoes, or skis to reach hunting areas.
- Train dogs for hunting.
- Scrape fat, blubber, or flesh from skin sides of pelts with knives or hand scrapers.
- Patrol trap lines or nets to inspect settings, remove catch, and reset or relocate traps.
- Decide where to set traps, using grid maps and aerial maps of hunting areas.
What Skills Do You Need to Work as a Hunter or Trapper?
Hunters and Trappers state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Other Hunter or Trapper Job Titles
- Pelts Skinner
- Forestry Hunter
- Animal Damage Control Agent
- Choke Setter
What Tools do Hunters and Trappers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Hunters and Trappers may use on a daily basis:
How to Become a Hunter or Trapper
Education needed to be a Hunter or Trapper:
How Long Does it Take to Become a Hunter or Trapper?
More about our data sources and methodologies.