What Does it Take to Be a Fuel Cell Technician?
Job Description: Install, operate, or maintain integrated fuel cell systems in transportation, stationary, or portable applications.
Fuel Cell Technician Responsibilities
- Recommend improvements to fuel cell design or performance.
- Conduct tests or provide technical support for tests of prototype fuel cell engines or thermal management systems.
- Install or test spark ignition (SI) or compression ignition (CI) engines.
- Install, calibrate, or operate emissions analyzers, cell assist software, fueling systems, or air conditioning systems in engine testing systems.
- Build fuel cell prototypes, following engineering specifications.
- Calibrate equipment used for fuel cell testing.
Types of Fuel Cell Technician
- Alternative Energy Technician
- Fuel Cell Technician
- Fuel Cell Battery Technician
- Fuel Cell Assembler
Is There Going to be Demand for Fuel Cell Technicians?
There were about 76,800 jobs for Fuel Cell Technician in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 5.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,000 new jobs for Fuel Cell Technician by 2026. There will be an estimated 7,100 positions for Fuel Cell Technician per year.
The states with the most job growth for Fuel Cell Technician are Utah, Nevada, and Connecticut. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, West Virginia, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Fuel Cell Technicians Salary
The typical yearly salary for Fuel Cell Technicians is somewhere between $36,120 and $98,720.
Fuel Cell Technicians who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Maine, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fuel Cell Technicians make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$92,600|
What Tools & Technology do Fuel Cell Technicians Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Fuel Cell Technicians may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Data acquisition software
Where Fuel Cell Technicians Are Employed
The table below shows the approximate number of Fuel Cell Technicians employed by various industries.
Image Credit: Airman 1st Class Ryan Conroy via Public domain
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|