What Do Fisher and Related Fishing Worker Do?
Job Description & Duties Use nets, fishing rods, traps, or other equipment to catch and gather fish or other aquatic animals from rivers, lakes, or oceans, for human consumption or other uses. May haul game onto ship.
List of Fisher & Related Fishing Worker Job Duties
- Operate rowboats, dinghies, or skiffs to transport fishers, divers, or sponge hookers or to tow and position fishing equipment.
- Pull and guide nets, traps, and lines onto vessels, by hand or using hoisting equipment.
- Remove catches from fishing equipment and measure them to ensure compliance with legal size.
- Club or gaff large fish to enable hauling them into fishing vessel.
- Connect accessories such as floats, weights, flags, lights, or markers to nets, lines, or traps.
- Wash decks, conveyors, knives, and other equipment, using brushes, detergents, and water.
Fisher & Related Fishing Worker Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Fishers and Related Fishing Workers say are important on the job.
Operation and Control: Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring: Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Types of Fisher and Related Fishing Worker
- Hook Tender
- Second Mate
- Third Mate
What Tools & Technology do Fishers and Related Fishing Workers Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Fishers and Related Fishing Workers may use on a daily basis:
How do I Become a Fisher & Related Fishing Worker?
What education or degrees do I need to become a Fisher and Related Fishing Worker?
What work experience do I need to become a Fisher & Related Fishing Worker?
Those thinking about becoming a Fisher and Related Fishing Worker might also be interested in the following careers:
Image Credit: Ootahara via Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|