What Do Fashion Designer Do?
Fashion Designer Definition Design clothing and accessories. Create original designs or adapt fashion trends.
Life As a Fashion Designer
- Confer with sales and management executives or with clients to discuss design ideas.
- Test fabrics or oversee testing so that garment care labels can be created.
- Purchase new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to complete designs.
- Examine sample garments on and off models, modifying designs to achieve desired effects.
- Design custom clothing and accessories for individuals, retailers, or theatrical, television, or film productions.
- Read scripts and consult directors and other production staff to develop design concepts and plan productions.
Fashion Designer Skills
These are the skills Fashion Designers say are the most useful in their careers:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Related Job Titles
- Costume Director
- Fur Stylist
- Sweater Designer
- Fashion Director
Are There Job Opportunities for Fashion Designers?
In the United States, there were 23,800 jobs for Fashion Designer in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 2.5% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 600 new jobs for Fashion Designer by 2026. The BLS estimates 2,300 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Fashion Designer are Idaho, Utah, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Pennsylvania, Vermont, or South Carolina. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Salary for a Fashion Designer
The typical yearly salary for Fashion Designers is somewhere between $36,420 and $155,470.
Fashion Designers who work in New York, California, or Alabama, make the highest salaries.
How much do Fashion Designers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
What Tools do Fashion Designers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Fashion Designers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite
- Financial accounting software
- Corel Painter
- Autodesk SketchBook Pro
How to Become a Fashion Designer
What education or degrees do I need to become a Fashion Designer?
What work experience do I need to become a Fashion Designer?
Where Fashion Designers Work
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Career changers with experience as a Fashion Designer sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.