What You Need to Know About Distance Learning Coordinator
Occupation Description Coordinate day-to-day operations of distance learning programs and schedule courses.
A Day in the Life of a Distance Learning Coordinator
- Evaluate the effectiveness of distance learning programs in promoting knowledge or skill acquisition.
- Prepare and distribute schedules of distance learning resources, such as course offerings, classrooms, laboratories, equipment, and web sites.
- Train instructors and distance learning staff in the use or support of distance learning applications, such as course management software.
- Direct and support the technical operation of distance learning classrooms or equipment.
- Prepare and manage distance learning program budgets.
- Purchase equipment or services in accordance with distance learning plans and budget constraints.
Distance Learning Coordinator Needed Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Distance Learning Coordinators say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Other Distance Learning Coordinator Job Titles
- Distance Education Coordinator
- Service Learning Coordinator
- Development Coordinator
- Distance Education Director
- Director of Distance Learning
Distance Learning Coordinator Employment Estimates
There were about 38,400 jobs for Distance Learning Coordinator in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.7% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,100 new jobs for Distance Learning Coordinator by 2026. The BLS estimates 3,400 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Distance Learning Coordinator are Utah, Nevada, and New York. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, South Dakota, or Rhode Island. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Average Distance Learning Coordinators Salary
Distance Learning Coordinators make between $44,130 and $141,000 a year.
Distance Learning Coordinators who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or Maryland, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Distance Learning Coordinators in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$105,730|
Tools & Technologies Used by Distance Learning Coordinators
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Distance Learning Coordinators may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Publisher
- Extensible markup language XML
- Oracle PeopleSoft
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Systems Adobe Flash
- SAP Crystal Reports
How to Become a Distance Learning Coordinator
Learn what Distance Learning Coordinator education requirements there are.
How Long Does it Take to Become a Distance Learning Coordinator?
Where Distance Learning Coordinators Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Image Credit: Shai-WMIL via Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International
More about our data sources and methodologies.