All About Copy Writers
Copy Writer Job Description Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
What Do Copy Writers Do On a Daily Basis?
- Write to customers in their terms and on their level so that the advertiser’s sales message is more readily received.
- Invent names for products and write the slogans that appear on packaging, brochures and other promotional material.
- Review advertising trends, consumer surveys, and other data regarding marketing of goods and services to determine the best way to promote products.
- Write articles, bulletins, sales letters, speeches, and other related informative, marketing and promotional material.
- Discuss with the client the product, advertising themes and methods, and any changes that should be made in advertising copy.
- Consult with sales, media and marketing representatives to obtain information on product or service and discuss style and length of advertising copy.
Qualities of a Copy Writer
Below is a list of the skills most Copy Writers say are important on the job.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Types of Copy Writer Jobs
- Account Executive
- Advertising Copy Writer
- Advertising Associate
- Advertising Account Executive
Is There Job Demand for Copy Writers?
There were about 131,200 jobs for Copy Writer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 7.6% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 10,000 new jobs for Copy Writer by 2026. The BLS estimates 12,600 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Copy Writer are Utah, Washington, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Kansas, New Mexico, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Copy Writer Average Salary
The salary for Copy Writers ranges between about $31,700 and $121,670 a year.
Copy Writers who work in District of Columbia, California, or Connecticut, make the highest salaries.
How much do Copy Writers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$101,690|
What Tools & Technology do Copy Writers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Copy Writers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Google Docs
- FileMaker Pro
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- PHP: Hypertext preprocessor
- Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Google Drive
Becoming a Copy Writer
Education needed to be a Copy Writer:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Copy Writers Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.