All About Architects
Position Description Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
Daily Life Of an Architect
- Develop final construction plans that include aesthetic representations of the structure or details for its construction.
- Plan layouts of structural architectural projects.
- Consult with clients to determine functional or spatial requirements of structures.
- Design environmentally sound structural upgrades to existing buildings, such as natural lighting systems, green roofs, or rainwater collection systems.
- Perform predesign services, such as feasibility or environmental impact studies.
- Plan or design structures such as residences, office buildings, theatres, factories, or other structural properties in accordance with environmental, safety, or other regulations.
Skills Needed to be an Architect
When polled, Architects say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Related Job Titles for this Occupation:
- Facilities Planner
- Facility Designer
- Commercial Green Building Designer
- Architectural Project Manager
- Green Building Design Specialist
Architect Job Outlook
There were about 128,800 jobs for Architect in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 4.2% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 5,400 new jobs for Architect by 2026. The BLS estimates 9,700 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Architect are Colorado, Utah, and Tennessee. Watch out if you plan on working in West Virginia, Mississippi, or Vermont. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of an Architect
Architects make between $48,020 and $138,120 a year.
Architects who work in Massachusetts, Alaska, or District of Columbia, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Architects in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$100,770|
Tools & Technologies Used by Architects
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Architects may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Database software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Bentley MicroStation
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
How do I Become an Architect?
Are there Architects education requirements?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Architects Are Employed
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those interested in being an Architect may also be interested in:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|