All About Anesthesiologist Assistants
Job Description: Assist anesthesiologists in the administration of anesthesia for surgical and non-surgical procedures. Monitor patient status and provide patient care during surgical treatment.
What Do Anesthesiologist Assistants Do On a Daily Basis?
- Assist in the provision of advanced life support techniques including those procedures using high frequency ventilation or intra-arterial cardiovascular assistance devices.
- Assist anesthesiologists in performing anesthetic procedures, such as epidural or spinal injections.
- Verify availability of operating room supplies, medications, and gases.
- Participate in seminars, workshops, or other professional activities to keep abreast of developments in anesthesiology.
- Collect and document patients’ pre-anesthetic health histories.
- Assist anesthesiologists in monitoring of patients, including electrocardiogram (EKG), direct arterial pressure, central venous pressure, arterial blood gas, hematocrit, or routine measurement of temperature, respiration, blood pressure or heart rate.
Anesthesiologist Assistant Skills
When polled, Anesthesiologist Assistants say the following skills are most frequently used in their jobs:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Monitoring: Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Types of Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Oral Surgery Assistant
- Anesthesia Tech
- Anesthesiologist Assistant-Certified
- Operating Room Technician
- Anesthesiologists’ Assistant
Anesthesiologist Assistant Employment Estimates
In the United States, there were 106,200 jobs for Anesthesiologist Assistant in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 37.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 39,700 new jobs for Anesthesiologist Assistant by 2026. There will be an estimated 10,600 positions for Anesthesiologist Assistant per year.
The states with the most job growth for Anesthesiologist Assistant are Arizona, Utah, and Florida. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Mississippi, or Alaska. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Anesthesiologist Assistant Salary
The average yearly salary of an Anesthesiologist Assistant ranges between $69,120 and $151,850.
Anesthesiologist Assistants who work in Connecticut, Washington, or Alaska, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Anesthesiologist Assistants in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$114,740|
What Tools do Anesthesiologist Assistants Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Anesthesiologist Assistants:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- GalacTek ECLIPSE
- IOS Health Systems Medios EHR
- Cerner PowerWorks Practice Management
- Epic Practice Management
- GE Healthcare Centricity Practice Solution
- CareCloud Central
- Benchmark Systems Benchmark Clinical EHR
- HealthFusion MediTouch
- Automatic Data Processing AdvancedMD EHR
- Kareo Practice Management
- McKesson Practice Plus
- Modernizing Medicine Practice Management
- NextGen Healthcare NextGen Practice Management
Becoming an Anesthesiologist Assistant
What kind of Anesthesiologist Assistant requirements are there?
How Long Does it Take to Become an Anesthesiologist Assistant?
Where do Anesthesiologist Assistants Work?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.